Sunday 27 July 2014

Tidying the garden - who knew what I might find!?!

Can't believe my luck!  Bethany and me I me were cutting down the branches of my over-hanging trees, so that Jo Public could actually use the footpath behind my garden without fear of loosing their heads, and what did we find!

Firstly, this tree:






I know, I know.  How hard is it to loose a tree...



















But, what's this?  Limes?

So, we consulted Dr Google and, guess what?

It's an conker (Horse Chestnut) tree!!!

I've lived here for 24 years and this is the first time this tree has had anything weird on it (except for the boys, when they were younger) but had they known about this, it wouldn't just have been cherry pips they threw over the fence at poor unsuspecting passers-by.  Could have been a serious problem.........


It's not all good news though.  My 'bumper' harvest of runner beans:  all 4 pods, was a huge disappointment.  Not because of the paucity number, but the un-eatable-ness (surely there's a proper word for this?).  They were woody and chewy, completely inedible (ah, there's the word).  Turns out, they were borlotti beans and should have been dried.  Well, there's always next year to exercise my black green thumb! 

But, that's not all.  We found this nest with 2 pigeon eggs in it.  I know we're not supposed to encourage pigeons, but...........


No comments:

Post a Comment